The goal of this program is to get kids back outdoors and to find the joy in being outside. They will learn outdoor activities, care for nature, create using nature, garden, and prepare no-cook foods. Gathering at the Swift River pavilion, we will build and create craft projects themed around the season. We will also learn how to follow basic no cook recipes and make great tasting treats. Each month the program will offer something new and exciting.
Winter-Activities may include sledding, snow forts, and snow ice cream. Make feeders to care for birds in the school garden. View the night sky with a telescope. Bring a flashlight for games.
Fall-This program is designed to have fun adventures in the garden and creating crafts from nature. We will spend time in the Swift River Gardens, planting, watering, harvesting plants, and helping birds through the winter months.Projects may include building a scarecrow, creating a picture frame using materials found in nature, or growing a baby tree. Snacks may include watermelon salsa, trail mix and ice cream.
Spring-Nice weather is coming and the season offers fun adventures in the garden with forcing bulbs and caring for an herb garden. Project activities will include toad abodes.
Pick up will be at the Swift River pavilion unless otherwise notified. Sessions will be held in the Swift River cafeteria during inclement weather.
Children will need a note from home to stay after school and gather in the pickup area.
Children are asked to bring a water bottle and snack.
Children will always need to be dressed and prepared for the outdoor weather.
School nurse/school staff are not present for this after school program.
- Ms. Laura Bishop is a Girl Scout troop leader and substitute teacher for the Belchertown Elementary schools. She is a volunteer for the Belchertown School Gardens, loves nature, animals, reading stories, and all things kids. First Aid and Epi Pen trained.
- Deadline Date: 5 days prior to the start of class
- A $10.00 late fee applies to all registrations after the deadline
- If Swift River School has early dismissal due to inclement weather, class will be cancelled.
- The instructor will reschedule class due to inclement weather.