The goal of this program is to get kids back outdoors and to find the joy in being outside all while sneaking in some basic STEM activities. They will care for nature, use their imagination, play games, garden, craft, and prepare snacks following no-cook recipes for great tasting treats. Each month the program will offer something new and exciting.
Fall - Work in the Belchertown School Gardens, planting, watering, and harvesting plants. Make solar oven treats and ice cream in a bag. Build a tarp tent and pretend you're camping.This program is designed to have fun adventures in the garden and creating crafts from nature. We will spend time in the Swift River Gardens, planting, watering, harvesting plants, and helping birds through the winter months. Projects may include building a scarecrow, creating a picture frame using materials found in nature, or growing a baby tree. Snacks may include watermelon salsa, trail mix and ice cream.
Winter-Activities may include sledding, snow forts, and snow ice cream. Make feeders to care for birds in the school garden. View the night sky with a telescope. Bring a flashlight for games.
Spring-Nice weather is coming and the season offers fun adventures in the garden with forcing bulbs and caring for an herb garden. Project activities will include toad abodes.
May is for planting! We will plant sunflowers, pumpkins, corn, and cucumbers in the school garden. Let's go fly a kite! We'll fly kites and even try making our own. How old was that tree? Count its rings and create a cool piece of art. Try an adventurous peanut butter and jelly recipe with honey and bacon.
Pick up will be at the Swift River pavilion unless otherwise notified. Sessions will be held in the Swift River cafeteria during inclement weather.
Children will need a note from home to stay after school and gather in the pickup area. Children are asked to bring a water bottle and snack. Children will always need to be dressed and prepared for the outdoor weather.
School nurse/school staff are not present for this after school program.
- 5 days prior to the start of session
- A $10.00 late fee applies to all registrations after the deadline
- If Swift River School has early dismissal due to inclement weather, class will be cancelled.
- The instructor will reschedule class due to inclement weather.
- Ms. Laura Bishop is a Girl Scout troop leader and substitute teacher for the Belchertown Elementary schools. She is a volunteer for the Belchertown School Gardens, loves nature, animals, reading stories, and all things kids. Laura is red cross adult and pediatric first aid/CPR/AED certified.